Monday, August 27, 2018

balenciaga bag lady


Ever since I started getting into the hobo chic look popularized by the legendary Mary-Kate Olsen circa 2005 (and I guess her twin sister by association) I've been obsessed with the Balenciaga city bag. The fact that she continued to wear this bag worth thousands of dollars with a large, unsightly stain embedded in the beautiful pistachio leather was ICONIC. The whole concept of wearing luxury goods in a state of distress was elevated by this fashion moment in my opinion. I mean she probably had the pen she used to sign all those checks for all the people employed at their multiple fashion houses accidentally break and leak out into the contents of her bag and she was like, "shit..........whatever." and just kept it pushing--those are the high levels of nonchalant bougieism I live for.

Fast forward to 2017/18...

It's not that I'm over the city bag, but ever since Demna G. has taken over, things in this fashion house have looked so much more exciting. Previously, my eye was drawn to the totes that came out a few seasons ago; I just really liked the lowkey design and the functionality of them. After browsing Net a Porter's site (mainly during the sale that I was desperately trying to avoid to no avail) I spotted the most charming bag I've seen in a while:

 

A shopping bag as a real bag?! YES. Especially considering I don't really go shopping in real life anymore (customer service is legit non existent so I don't even bother plus I'm a well known sloth so scrolling and clicking is more my style).  They do come in a smaller size in black that reminds me of the little bags they give you when you buy a few products at Sephora that make it look like you didn't just spend $500 on three things. I like the larger size because they include a top zipper and I also like the thin straps and realistic creases. The white version means I have a chance to create my own nonchalant bougie moment and stain it so it will look like I really don't have any way of carrying my things except an old, dirty shopping bag--omg, so homeless bag lady chic LOVE. IT.

Also I stay obsessed with fur on all things other than coats so this caught my eye:


I don't like the gaudy lettering at all, but I like that this is a nappy shearling vs straight (unlike this other fur bag that I passed up bc I decided to be too poor/more responsible).

Despite all this excitement, I'm still literally going to wait until Net a Porter's next sale at the end of the year before I decide to purchase anything at all and by that time who knows what will be available or what my new obsession will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: If you want me to check out your blog, just leave your address :) BUT DON'T BE ANNOYING AND ASK ME TO FOLLOW YOU.