Saturday, September 1, 2018

trying to make western happen

I just tweeted about how every year I feel like designers try and make cowboy boots a thing...let me elaborate...

First of all, I will say that cowboy boots really had a moment in the early 2000s; I vividly remember  wearing a pair I found at a Forever 21esque store in the mall (Vanity? Gadzooks? Wetseal? Honestly my current bougieness has blocked out the trauma). They were surprisingly good boots despite being made in China and I was determined to wear them in the same manner as one of my early 2000s fashion icons, Mary-Kate:



...this look high key changed my life (if you can't already tell, ALL of her looks during her tragic phase changed my life FOREVA...this is kind of a running theme with my celeb-inspired style actually, maybe I'll post on that later).

Ever since then I've seen the cowboy boot return periodically as if designers are trying to make it some sort of standard or classic style of shoe? I mean, I get that country music is becoming more and more acceptable due to all the current brazen provincial caucasian patriotism or whatever, but I've never thought cowboy boots were a classic. They are traditionally worn by people who don't sound very intellectual when they speak and also work outside--this is low class. Even though fashion is always being influenced by low class things, when it comes to cowboy boots, they've always come off as that trend that just won't die.

Due to these facts, I have to deem their presence extra AF and overall trashy--which is exactly why I'm so drawn to them...



Years after Mary-Kate's western hobo phase I decided to revisit the trend with a pair of étolie Dallin suede boots by Isabel Marant (sold out, but the taller version is available). I've always thought they looked great paired with baggy layers, leggings or tights; a nice example in the first picture depicting a more streamlined version of Mary-Kate's look. Additionally, I have a shocking number of onesies so I thought the look from off the runway was an exceptional styling of the boot in the sense that it is both whimsical and easy--literally both items are pulled on in one direction and you're out the door looking a mess.

Currently, designers are hard at work creating more updated versions of the "classic" boot, some of which I find compelling:

MM6 Maison Margiela--love this dusty rose color and I'm always here for a low wedge.
Golden Goose Deluxe Brand--these are just so substantial, I love the height and the slight slouch.

Off-White--I like a little humor with my fashion plus these are really well crafted, the hardware is gorgeous.

Tibi--more dressy than casual, but such a sexy take on the western boot.


R13--so tacky and awful that I think they're amazing, had to include them.

Toga Pulla--never heard of this brand, but they definitely caught my attention. I love the hardware on the heel and navy blue is one of my favorite colors (also comes in black), such a striking design.

Of all these selections I would probably go for the Margielas or the Toga Pulla ones if I didn't have a pair of cowboy boots already. I still wonder when designers are going to stop revamping and reintroducing old trends and come up with something new, some bag lady sneakers in dingy distressed leather perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: If you want me to check out your blog, just leave your address :) BUT DON'T BE ANNOYING AND ASK ME TO FOLLOW YOU.